Express Entry is one of the main ways that immigrants who wish to become permanent residents come to Canada, as it allows immigrants to apply for permanent residence based on how they can contribute to the Canadian economy.

Express Entry is a competitive program in which applicants are put into a pool and invited to Canada in groups determined by the Comprehensive Ranking System, which is based on a variety of factors. All Express Entry applicants require work experience prior to applying, but there are multiple programs under express entry that differ in their requirements after the work experience requirement is met. There are three options available for potential immigrants to come to Canada via Federal Express Entry. The programs available are the Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program, and Federal Skilled Trades Program. There is also the Provincial Nominee Program, which is sometimes included as part of Express Entry, so long as the candidate for the Provincial Nominee Program meets criteria for one of the Federal Express Entry programs.

Since the onset of the pandemic era restrictions on travel, there have been less immigrants accepted to Canada. Although the government has set lofty immigration goals for the next few years in order to compensate for the lower immigration numbers in 2020 and 2021, there still has yet to be a resumption in immigration under certain streams of the Express Entry program, leaving applicants waiting for the government to begin issuing invitations for the group they applied under. If you are planning on applying to Canada, carefully consider which program to apply under in order to give yourself the best chance of being accepted.

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class for Express Entry is for skilled workers who have Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents. There are minimum requirements that must be met for candidates who want to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. The minimum requirements include being at the required language level in writing, reading, listening and speaking needed for your job, having at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before applying and that the work experience you have was obtained while you were legally allowed to work under temporary resident status. The work experience must qualify the applicant for a managerial or professional role, or a skilled trade. There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class, but foreign and Canadian educational experiences can make an application more competitive.

During the COVID-19 pandemic era restrictions on travel, there have still been Applicants invited to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class, as 2000 applicants were issued invitations recently on September 14. It is likely that Canadian Experience Class candidates will continue to receive invitations, so if you are considering coming to Canada under this program you can apply and will likely be considered for entry.

Provincial Nominee Program

The Provincial Nominee Program allows the provinces of Canada to set out various streams that allow applicants to apply for residency. Requirements vary based on which stream the applicant applies under and vary from province to province. If a Provincial Nominee Program applicant is selected, the province will nominate the applicant, who then has to apply to the federal government for permanent resident status. If you are looking to apply under the Provincial Nominee Program, you will be pleased to know that the Canadian government has been inviting Provincial Nominee Program Applicants to Canada, with 888 invitations issued on October 27, 2021 and more invitations being issued every month.

Federal Skilled Worker Program and Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Program does not require Canadian work experience, but applicants have to meet a minimum points requirement that is derived from six selection factors, including age, education, language, skilled work experience, existing job offers and adaptability. Applicants must also be able to demonstrate they have sufficient financial funds to settle in Canada, or have a valid job offer in Canada.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is available to applicants who work in a select number of trades, have two years of full time work experience, meet required language levels, and have a valid job offer of full-time employment for a period of at least one year.

Currently, applicants under these streams are not having invitations issued, as since the beginning of 2021 only Provincial Nominee Program applicants and Canadian Experience Class applicants have had invitations issued. It is unclear as to when invitations will resume to applicants under these streams. If you are thinking of applying, it is worth noting that candidate profiles expire after one year and the language test must be redone after two years. While it is likely that applications under these programs will start being processed again within the next year, it is not certain as to when the government will begin issuing invitations again so some applicants may want to wait to apply. There are still some advantages to applying early, such as having your name in the pool of applicants when invitations start being issued again and having a chance to receive a provincial nomination. However, given the fluid nature of the situation for these programs, some applicants may want to consider a different path to permanent residency.

Unsure of How to Apply to Come to Canada? Garson Immigration Law Can Help

Garson Immigration Law is a firm exclusively dedicated to the practice of immigration law. We successfully guide clients through the immigration process, with an eye toward the ever-changing regulations in light of COVID-19. We will work to find an effective solution for your individual immigration needs and ensure you are positioned for success with respect to your application. At Garson Immigration Law we have a wealth of experience in helping clients apply for permanent residence through Express Entry.

The immigration lawyers at Garson Immigration Law are here to help. If you have any questions about a potential application, do not hesitate to reach out to us online or by calling us at 416-321-2860.

Contact Us

For all questions and inquiries, call or email us via our form below<

4950 Yonge St., # 302
Toronto, ON M2N 6K1

Fax: (416) 512-6107