Canadian Immigration Lawyers for Permanent Resident Card Applications

You may be a permanent resident of Canada, and not have a valid permanent resident card, either because you have never had one, or your existing card has been lost or has expired. As long as you remain in Canada, this would not pose a problem. However, if you need to travel outside of Canada and then re-enter the country by airplane, train or boat, you will be required to show your permanent resident card upon your return. New permanent residents to Canada are provided with a card automatically as part of the approval process, however, the card could be lost or stolen. As a result, you’ll need to apply for a replacement. If you need to travel urgently and do not have a card, you may need to apply via the urgent application process.

The immigration lawyers at Garson Immigration Law in Toronto, have extensive experience assisting clients obtain new permanent resident cards and are particularly adept at obtaining new cards in urgent situations. We use our in-depth understanding of the application process to secure quick processing for clients seeking a permanent residence card in an emergency situation.

In addition, as permanent residents are required to be physically present in Canada for 730 days in every five-year period, permanent resident cards are issued for a five-year validity period. When applying to renew their card, applicants must demonstrate that they have met the physical presence requirement.

Applying for a New or Replacement Permanent Resident Card in Canada

Applications for new or replacement permanent resident cards typically take anywhere from two weeks to several months to process. If you are required to travel sooner than that, you may consider applying for a permanent residence travel document, which is valid for a single entry back to Canada when travelling by plane, boat or train. Note that if you are travelling by private car, you may use other forms of identification when re-entering Canada, such as an Enhanced Driver’s License or Enhanced Identification Card along with proof of your permanent residence status.

Urgent Application Process

In order to apply for urgent processing, you must be travelling within three months for one of the following reasons:

  • The death or serious illness of a family member;
  • A job opportunity;
  • Treatment for your own serious illness; or
  • Work-related to your current job

In order to support your application, you will need to provide additional documentation with respect to your travel itinerary and the reason for travel. This may include medical information or a death certificate, or a letter from your employer in the case of work-related travel.

Contact Garson Immigration Law if you Require a Permanent Resident Card for Urgent Travel Outside of Canada or Need to Renew your Permanent Resident Card

At Garson Immigration Law, we practice immigration law exclusively. We have helped numerous clients navigate the urgent application process for permanent resident cards to enable them to travel for a personal or business emergency and to effectively renew their permanent resident cards We have been widely recognized for our expertise in the field and will work to find an effective solution for your individual immigration needs. To discuss your circumstances with one of our experienced immigration lawyers, please contact us online or call us at 416-321-2860.

Contact Us

For all questions and inquiries, call or email us via our form below<

4950 Yonge St., # 302
Toronto, ON M2N 6K1

Fax: (416) 512-6107