Canadian Immigration Lawyers in Toronto Assisting with Permanent Residence Status in Canada

Individuals looking to move to Canada have several options to gain entry into the country, including various temporary resident visas. However, if you are looking to make a long-term move to Canada, you will likely seek to gain permanent residence status, potentially with the thought of an eventual application for citizenship.

At Garson Immigration Law in Toronto, we are dedicated to the practice of immigration law and have nearly thirty years of experience assisting our clients with moving to Canada on a permanent basis.

What Does Permanent Residence Mean in Canada?

Permanent residence status allows a person to live in Canada indefinitely and affords them a number of rights and obligations. Applicants granted permanent residence status are afforded a number of benefits within Canada, including:

  • Eligibility for most social benefits provided to Canadians, including health care coverage;
  • You are free to live and work anywhere in the country;
  • You may apply for citizenship once you have met the length of stay requirements; and
  • Protection under Canadian law, including the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Successful applicants are also subject to a number of obligations, including the payment of federal, provincial and municipal taxes.

Obtaining and Maintaining Permanent Residence Status

Applicants can apply for permanent residence status through several different routes, including:

Applicants who are temporary residents in Canada may also apply for permanent residence status. However, it is important to keep in mind that most temporary residents are required to demonstrate they do not intend to stay in Canada beyond the period of their application. This is a dichotomy that must be navigated carefully, and at Garson Immigration Law, our considerable experience gives us unique insight into best practices for helping clients transition from temporary residents to permanent status.

Successful applicants for permanent residence must maintain their status by residing in Canada for at least 730 days within any given five-year period. Failure to do so can result in the permanent residence status being revoked.

Contact Garson Immigration Law in Toronto for Experienced Guidance in Applying for Permanent Residence in Canada

At Garson Immigration Law, our team has dedicated their careers exclusively to the practice of immigration law. We regularly provide assistance to clients seeking permanent residence status in Canada and we are widely recognized for our expertise in the field. Our lawyers work tirelessly to find effective and efficient solutions for our clients’ specific immigration needs.

To discuss your circumstances with one of our experienced immigration lawyers, please contact us online or call us at 416-321-2860.

Contact Us

For all questions and inquiries, call or email us via our form below<

4950 Yonge St., # 302
Toronto, ON M2N 6K1

Fax: (416) 512-6107