Skilled Immigration Lawyers assisting with Canadian Citizenship Applications

Citizenship is the final step in acquiring all the rights and privileges of a person naturally born in Canada, including the right to vote in Canadian elections, and the right to live and work anywhere in the country. To become a citizen, you must first be a permanent resident of the country and live in Canada for at least 3 of the 5 years before you can submit your application.

Many people mistakenly believe they have an automatic right to citizenship if they marry a Canadian citizen, but this is not the case. Individuals married to a Canadian citizen must still go through the same process of any other applicant by first becoming a permanent resident and then meeting the criteria to apply for citizenship.

At Garson Immigration Law in Toronto, we have been assisting people secure citizenship in Canada for nearly thirty years. Our founding partner, David Garson, is designated as a certified specialist in citizenship and immigration law by the Law Society of Ontario, and our entire team has devoted their entire practice to immigration law. We have extensive experience successfully assisting clients through the citizenship process in Canada.

How do I Apply for Citizenship in Canada?

To become a citizen of Canada, you must first be a permanent resident and have lived in Canada for at least 1095 days in the five years prior to submitting your application. In addition to these requirements, you must also be able to sufficiently demonstrate your French or English language skills, as well as pass a test relating to your knowledge of Canada’s history, its government and its laws.

At the present time, an application for Canadian citizenship takes approximately one year to process. It is possible to apply for citizenship on an urgent basis in certain circumstances, such as:

  • You require citizenship to apply for a job or avoid losing a job;
  • You require citizenship to attend a Canadian school;
  • You need to travel outside of Canada for a death or serious illness in your family and require a Canadian passport; or
  • You successfully appeal a previous denial of your citizenship application.

Citizenship by Descent (Proof of Citizenship)

It is possible for a person born outside of Canada to be a Canadian citizen by descent if one or both of their parents was:

  • Born in Canada; or
  • Naturalized in Canada before the birth of their child.

Note that citizenship by descent is limited to the first generation of children born outside of Canada to a Canadian citizen, with limited exceptions. A person who suspects they may be a citizen by descent can apply for Proof of Citizenship if they are unsure. If approved, they will be issued a Citizenship Certificate.

What You Can do If Your Citizenship Application is Rejected

If your application for Canadian citizenship is rejected for any reason, you can reapply, however, this means re-submitting all relevant forms and documents, as well as paying the application fee again. You also have the option of seeking judicial review by the Federal Court of Canada. Reapplying or seeking judicial review adds significant time and expense to the application process, so it is important to make sure that your application is complete and accurate the first time you submit.

The team at Garson Immigration Law understands how important an application for citizenship is to each and every applicant. Our immigration professionals work meticulously to ensure all eligibility requirements are met and all necessary documents have been secured the first time around, to avoid delay.

Contact Garson Immigration Law in Toronto for Assistance with Citizenship Applications in Canada

At Garson Immigration Law, we are exclusively dedicated to the practice of immigration law and regularly help to strategize and facilitate successful applications for Canadian citizenship. We have been widely recognized for our expertise in the field and will work to find an effective solution for your individual immigration needs. To discuss your circumstances with one of our experienced immigration lawyers, please contact us online or call us at 416-321-2860.



Contact Us

For all questions and inquiries, call or email us via our form below<

4950 Yonge St., # 302
Toronto, ON M2N 6K1

Fax: (416) 512-6107